Ames Center Begins Recycling Organics
The Burnsville Ames Center continues to "wow the crowds" with its newest venture: organics recycling. Guests at the Ames Center may notice the new, brightly colored bins around the venue that feature traditional recycling, trash, and a special spot just for organic waste.
To make recycling easier, the new containers have labels showing what can be thrown where, and most of the items in the concession/bar have been switched to BPI-Certified compostable alternatives. While bottles, cans and paper handouts can continue to go in the regular blue recycling bin, things such as cups, plastic forks, napkins, apple cores, and most food containers can go into the green organics bin. Other items such as candy wrappers or chip bags should still go in the trash.
Many of these new BPI-Certified compostable items are made of a plant based plastic and look like they could go in the recycling bin. However, in order for them to be turned into compost, they will need to go in the green bin with other compostable items. If you are unsure if the item you purchased is compostable, check the item for the BPI Logo or just ask any staff member at the Ames Center.
Organics recycling plays an essential role in keeping valuable materials out of landfills. Organics collected at the Ames Center will be brought to a local organics recycling facility to be turned into compost, a valuable soil additive. Compost improves soil quality, reduces erosion, reduces greenhouse gases, and decreases the need for chemical fertilizers.
So, next time you’re at the Ames Center, grab an ice cold refreshment and make to sure throw the whole cup in the green bin when you’re done- straw too!
Apple Valley Clean-Up Day
Date: Saturday, Sept. 23, 2023
Time: 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Location: Family Aquatic Center, 14421 Johnny Cake Ridge Rd, Apple Valley
For Apple Valley Residents ONLY. Must show proof of residence.
- Appliances: $25-35/item
Car: $10 each; Semi: $10 each, Tractor: $25 each
- Scrap metal: $5-10/item
- Motorized Equipment: $35/item
- Mattress and box springs: $10-35 each
Recliners, sofas, love seats: $15-20
Pull-out sofas: $25
Wooden chairs: $5
- Carpet and padding: $1/square yard
- Home remodeling debris: $10-50/pickup load
- Miscellaneous: $5-100 (based on volume)
- Document destruction: FREE
Cash or check payable to City of Apple Valley
- Paint, cleaners, pesticides*
- Other household hazardous waste*
- Fluorescent bulbs*
- Motor oil/filters*
- Car batteries*
*These items are accepted at the Burnsville Hazardous Waste Collection on Oct. 7, 2023, or year round at The Recycling Zone
- Any yard waste
- Business waste
- Railroad ties and treated lumber
For more information about the drop-off event, or questions about recycling items not accepted at this event, contact Dakota Valley Recycling at 952-895-4559.
Ask a DVR Staff
Got a question about recycling? Not sure how to dispose of a household item? Need information about yard waste sites, landfills, or The Recycling Zone?
If your question isn't covered by the content on this website, contact us directly via email or call us at 952-895-4559.
Burnsville Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Day
Dakota County and the City of Burnsville are hosting their annual Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Day on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2023 from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm at the Burnsville Maintenance Facility. The drop off is open to all Dakota County Residents. A valid drivers license is required.
Date: Saturday, Oct. 7, 2023
Time: 9:00 AM- 2:00 PM
Location: Burnsville Maintenance Facility
13713 Frontier Court, Burnsville MN
ITEMS ACCEPTED AT NO COST:
- Household Hazardous Waste: aerosols, auto batteries, cleaners, fire extinguishers, fluorescent bulbs/tubes, gasoline, lawn chemicals, paint, pesticides, propane cylinders, rechargeable batteries, thermostats, used oil/filters, most products labeled dangerous, corrosive, flammable, poison, or combustible.
- Electronics: VCRs, DVD players, computers (not monitors), printers, computer accessories, stereos, digital cameras, fax equipment, electronic gaming systems, cell phones and other miscellaneous electronic devices.
- Misc. Electric Household Items: Vacuum cleaners, carpet sweepers, coffee makers, blenders (without glass), mixers, bread makers, fryers, food sealing equipment, electric knives, clothes irons, shaving equipment, hair dryers, holiday lights, space heaters, radios, clocks, telephones, fans, cameras, toaster ovens and misc. electric tools (drills, sanders, etc). Batteries must be removed from all devices.
- Scrap Metal: Metal grills (separate propane tank for HHW disposal), metal lawn furniture and other scrap metal items (try to remove as many non-metal parts as possible).
- Appliances: Furnaces and trash compactors
- Tires: please separate from rim.
- Bicycles: drop-off bicycles of any size in any condition to be either refurbished or recycled.
- Document Destruction: Computer paper, copy paper, envelopes, letterhead, notepad/legal paper, fax paper, junk mail, file folders, phone message notes. Paper clips and staples DO NOT have to be removed. No cardboard boxes, binders or rubber bands.
ITEMS ACCEPTED FOR A PER-ITEM FEE (cash or check only):
- Prices will be updated by August 2023
- Electronics: Televisions and computer monitors will be accepted for $10 each
- Appliances: Appliances will be accepted for a per item fee including:
- Washers $20 each
- Dryers $20 each
- Air conditioners $25 each
- Microwaves $20 each
- Hot water heaters $20 each
- Water softeners $30 each
- Stoves/ovens $20 each
- Refrigerators $25 each
- Freezers $25 each
- Dehumidifiers $25 each
- Dishwashers $20 each
- Misc. Appliances $20 each
- Power equipment: Push & riding lawn mowers, snow blowers, weed whips, pressure washers, chainsaws, air compressors, and other electric and battery operated equipment. Drain all gas and engine fluids $35 per item
- Scrap metal: Miscellaneous scrap metal items will be accepted and charged per vehicle-load at $5 - 25/Vehicle Load as long as it is free of wood/plastic debris.
Items NOT ACCEPTED at this event:
- NO carpet: for disposal of carpet and carpet padding, click here.
- NO furniture: for reuse options of furniture in good condition, click here. For disposal options, click here.
- NO ammonia-gas appliances (such as RV appliances): ammonia-power appliances can be brought to JR's Advanced Recycling for a fee. For more information, click here.
- NO business waste: If you are a business with small amounts of hazardous waste, you may qualify for Dakota County's Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) program. For more information, click here.
For more information, or to find out if your item is accepted at the Drop-Off Day, call 952-895-4511
The Hazardous Waste Collection Event is partially funded by the city of Burnsville, Dakota County, and the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency